Subject: manual http authorization (no netrc)

From: tom fogal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:20:59 -0700

I'm getting authorization errors when I lack a .netrc for an http-based
server.  Specifically:

  tf@shigeru tmp $ git clone http://myhost:port/git/io.git
  Cloning into io...
  Username:
  Password:
  error: The requested URL returned error: 401 (curl_result = 22, http_code =
  401, sha1 = 9c201da4d64e2fd178935b9ebbd6e110a97578d4)
  error: Unable to find 9c201da4d64e2fd178935b9ebbd6e110a97578d4 under
  http://shigeru.sci.utah.edu:1234/git/io.git
  Cannot obtain needed blob 9c201da4d64e2fd178935b9ebbd6e110a97578d4
  while processing commit b1853d6f6a54cf22e259a75f77770eef53b8cb38.
  error: Fetch failed.

I did try multiple times; the username/password combo is correct :)

A friend of mine is also experiencing the same problem.  The server is
running git 1.5.6.5; my client is 1.7.3.4, and I'm not sure what the
other party's is, but it's likely to be recent.

Everything works fine if we just create a ~/.netrc and set things up
appropriately. `curl-config --version' says "libcurl 7.18.2" on my
workstation.

What have we configured incorrectly?

-tom