Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Stacked GIT 0.7

From: Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:56:39 +0100

On 02/10/05, Catalin Marinas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> An optimisation would be to keep the patches in diff format and apply
> them but this would mean losing the advantages of the three-way
> merging.

After some tests, it looks like 'git-diff-tree -p ... | git-apply
--index' is about 3 times faster than 'git-read-tree -m' (in the best
case for git-read-tree with minor modifications of the base). It now
takes ~0.5s to push a single patch (compared to ~1.5s).

Since most of the patches, for routine updates of the base, don't
generate conflicts, git-apply should work fine. I'll modify StGIT to
use this method by default and fall back to the three-way merge in
case it fails. This will also solve the problem with complex
modifications of the base of the stack (i.e. file removals/additions)
when there won't be any need to call the external index merger if
git-apply succeeds.

--
Catalin