Subject: Re: Balanced packing strategy

From: Craig Schlenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:14:36 +0200

On 12 Nov 2005, at 3:59 PM, Petr Baudis wrote:

> Dear diary, on Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 02:40:50PM CET, I got a letter
> where Craig Schlenter <[email-masked]> said that...
>> The 100MB situation is not cool for those of us on a tight bandwidth
>> budget or slow links. Can anyone tell me if the native git protocol is
>> any better at this stuff please?
>
> Yes, the native GIT protocol transfers only the objects you need.

Ah, magic, thanks!

> But the 100MB situation is still bad. FWIW, this is my proposal I sent
> about a month ago to some packs-related discussion at the kernel.org
> mailing list (ok, I updated it a little):

It would be nice if there was some meaningful automatic packing that
didn't hurt "non-git-aware protocol" users.

Does the pack index file contain enough information to enable a client
to send http byte range requests to grab individual objects from a pack?
It does seem to store object offsets but maybe I'm missing something ...

Thank you,

--Craig