Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 05/10] bundle-uri: download in creationToken order

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 14:12:41 -0500

On 1/30/2023 2:02 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> I think there are two possible directions we can have when talking
>> about interrupted downloads:
>>
>> 1. The network connection was disconnected, and the client may want
>>    to respond to that with a retry and a ranged request.
>>
>> 2. The client process itself terminates for some reason, and a
>>    second process recognizes that some of the data already exists
>>    and could be used for a range request of the remainder.
... 
> Mostly.  We probably do not want / need to cater to "I killed it
> with ^C and would want to continue".

I mention it because it has been mentioned to me as an example use
case. This includes other failures, such as power outages.

I don't think we have range requests enabled for the longer-lived
packfile-uri, but we shall see if adoption of bundle URIs presents
more motivation to build that feature. Case (1) will be the easiest
to consider, and I agree that it would be more generally useful.

Thanks,
-Stolee