Subject: Re: [PATCH v0 0/4] Remove obsolete Cygwin support from git-gui

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 13:01:13 -0400

On 6/25/23 11:46, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So, the code under the is_Windows and is_Cygwin branches of the
>> if/else trees are now completely independent, and the is_Windows
>> branch is never entered on Cygwin.

>
> So, earlier I said [2/4] made sense and obviously good.  But not
> anymore.  It does a bit too many things and then have later steps
> compensate for it, which made reviewing the series harder than
> necessary.  It needs to be cleaned up a bit, I think.
>
> Thanks.
>

I had originally organized as you suggest, no problem doing so again. 
What gave me pause was this paragraph I originally wrote for the cover 
letter:

Patches 1/2 cause git-gui to function as it has for the last decade on
Cygwin, but with Cygwin being detected. However, the browsing and
shortcut creation menu items, removed in 2012 then re-added when is_Cygwin
was fixed, do not work, and shortcut creation will crash git-gui if used.
These are fixed in patches 3 / 4.

So, I'm just checking that the above situation is ok. I agree, this 
makes the changes easier to follow.

Mark