Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] add-patch: render hunks through the pager

From: Dragan Simic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 01:28:30 +0200

On 2024-05-24 01:04, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Dragan Simic <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>> And for usability, perhaps giving a specific command would change
>>> the default program a bare 'P' invokes for the rest of the session
>>> until another specific command overrides.  Another usability hack
>>> may be "[interactive] pipecommand = less -FX" configuration variable
>>> gives the initial default for each session.
>> 
>> I think that would be way too complicated.
> 
> It is modelled after how "less" and "vi" remembers the last pattern
> fed to their "/" command.  You once give, say, "/test_<ENTER>" to
> find one instance of "test_", then "/<ENTER>" takes to the next
> instance.

Huh, less(1) actually remembers nothing when the secure mode is
turned on.  That's another thing I've collaborated with the author
of less(1), to make it possible to remember the last search term
when running less(1) in secure mode.

> As I expect our target audiences are used to such a behaviour, I do
> not think I agree with your "way too complicated".

Hmm.  Where would that state be stored?