Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 4/4] add-patch: render hunks through the pager

From: Rubén Justo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2024 00:37:08 +0200

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 04:09:17PM -0400, Eric Sunshine wrote:

> > >> -    test_write_lines P q | GIT_PAGER="head -n 1" test_terminal git add -p

> It's also curious that t/check-non-portable-shell.pl didn't catch this
> use of one-shot assignment when calling a shell function[*].

It would have been great if it had caught that error.

As a reference:

    func () {
    }

    VAR=value func           # this error is caught
    echo 1 |
    VAR=value func           # this one is also caught
    echo 1 | VAR=value func  # this one isn't

Maybe, catch this errors expanding the regular expression we have in
`check-non-portable-shell.pl` isn't the best approach.  We might need
something more sophisticated, like what we have in `chainlint.pl`.

Perhaps someone with experience in those scripts could give us this
capability :-)

Thanks for your message.