Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Sep 2022, #08; Tue, 27)

From: Victoria Dye <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 18:52:02 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> * vd/fix-unaligned-read-index-v4 (2022-09-23) 1 commit
>  - read-cache: avoid misaligned reads in index v4
> 
>  The codepath that reads from the index v4 had unaligned memory
>  accesses, which has been corrected.
> 
>  Expecting a reroll.
>  cf. <[email-masked]>
>  cf. <[email-masked]>
>  source: <[email-masked]>
> 

How drastic an update were you expecting for this re-roll? To keep the fix
minimal (that is, focused on 'create_from_disk()'), I was planning to just
add some comments explaining the implementation (in response to [1]). If the
goal is to get this merged quickly, I'd want to avoid a larger refactor
(suggested in [2] & [3]), since doing so would either make the
implementations of "read from disk" ('create_from_disk()') and "write to
disk" ('copy_cache_entry_to_ondisk()') different/difficult to compare, or
would involve a more invasive refactor to update both functions [4].

However, if there's no time pressure (after all, this bug has existed since
the introduction of index v4!), I'm happy to do that refactor. It would
expand the series to 2 or 3 patches, but should address all of the
suggestions made so far and make the code overall a bit clearer.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
- Victoria

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[4] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/