Subject: Re: rebase -i --update-refs can lead to deletion of branches

From: Victoria Dye <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:28:32 -0700

Phillip Wood wrote:
> We should be removing the entry entirely if the user removes it from the
> todo-list see b3b1a21d1a (sequencer: rewrite update-refs as user edits
> todo list, 2022-07-19) where the commit message says
> 
> 1. If a '<ref>/<before>/<after>' triple in the update-refs file does not
>    have a matching 'update-ref <ref>' command in the todo-list _and_ the
>    <after> value is the null OID, then remove that triple. Here, the
>    user removed the 'update-ref <ref>' command before it was executed,
>    since if it was executed then the <after> value would store the
>    commit at that position.
> 
> I think that is the best approach but it seems the implementation isn't
> actually doing that.

Thanks for pointing this out. This approach seems to have only been applied
to 'git rebase --edit-todo', so ideally the fix will just be "do the same
thing in the initial rebase."

I got sidetracked yesterday and didn't get as much time to work on this as
I'd liked, but I should be able to send a patch today.