Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 08/10] log: create log.decorateFilter=all

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 09:38:11 -0400

On 8/3/2022 6:42 PM, Josh Steadmon wrote:
> On 2022.07.29 19:29, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:

>> +log.decorateFilter::
>> +	By default, `git log` only shows decorations for certain known ref
>> +	namespaces. If 'all' is specified, then show all possible ref
>> +	decorations. Default value is 'default'.
>> +
> 
> Could we make it more clear here that "all" is the only supported value?
> IIUC any other value will just get the default behavior. Just reading
> the doc as-is, I worry that users might expect that they can add
> specific refs / ref-patterns that would be added to the filter.

Perhaps that's a sign that the config key is poorly named. I had
considered other options:

* log.decorateFilterMode (seemed too long)
* log.decorateMode (hard to distinguish from log.decorate)

Perhaps we could leave this as a boolean config with the name
'log.decorateHiddenRefs' with default being 'false'? I'd love to
explore other options.

Thanks,
-Stolee