Subject: [PATCH 3/4] ci: bump actions/github-script from v8 to v9

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2026 12:41:58 +0000

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

The only use we have of `actions/github-script` is the "skip if the
commit or tree was already tested" step in `main.yml`, which checks
whether an identical tree-SHA was already built successfully. It
currently pins v8; v9 is the latest release.

What v9 changes:

- The `ACTIONS_ORCHESTRATION_ID` environment variable is now
  appended to the HTTP user-agent string. This is transparent to
  our script.
- A new injected `getOctokit` factory lets scripts create
  additional authenticated clients in the same step without
  importing `@actions/github`. We do not use it.
- Two breaking changes affect scripts that either call
  `require('@actions/github')` (fails at runtime, because
  `@actions/github` v9 is now ESM-only) or that shadow the
  implicit `getOctokit` parameter via `const`/`let` (syntax
  error). Our script does neither -- it only uses the pre-supplied
  `github` REST client and `core` helpers -- so the upgrade is
  safe.

Risk analysis: the step is advisory. It sets `enabled=' but skip'`
as an optimization to avoid re-running CI on a tree that was already
tested successfully. Even if the v9 upgrade broke the script, the
surrounding `try { ... } catch (e) { core.warning(e); }` block would
degrade it to a warning and CI would still run normally. In practice
the script continues to work identically on v9.

See also:

- Release notes: https://github.com/actions/github-script/releases
- Compare: https://github.com/actions/github-script/compare/v8...v9

Originally-authored-by: dependabot[bot] <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
---
 .github/workflows/main.yml | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/.github/workflows/main.yml b/.github/workflows/main.yml
index da31b10c79..6d7f26e71e 100644
--- a/.github/workflows/main.yml
+++ b/.github/workflows/main.yml
@@ -63,7 +63,7 @@ jobs:
           echo "skip_concurrent=$skip_concurrent" >>$GITHUB_OUTPUT
       - name: skip if the commit or tree was already tested
         id: skip-if-redundant
-        uses: actions/github-script@v8
+        uses: actions/github-script@v9
         if: steps.check-ref.outputs.enabled == 'yes'
         with:
           github-token: ${{secrets.GITHUB_TOKEN}}
-- 
gitgitgadget