Subject: [PATCH v3 3/4] doc: git-push: clarify "where to push"

From: "Julia Evans via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2025 17:44:31 +0000

From: Julia Evans <[email-masked]>

Be clearer about what we're describing ("which repository" instead of
"where to push"), and start with a positive "try X, then Y, then Z"
instead of a negative ("if X is not specified..").

Signed-off-by: Julia Evans <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-push.adoc | 8 ++++----
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-push.adoc b/Documentation/git-push.adoc
index 25d972f248..368f2625a2 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-push.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/git-push.adoc
@@ -23,10 +23,10 @@ Updates one or more branches, tags, or other references in a remote
 repository from your local repository, and sends all necessary data
 that isn't already on the remote.
 
-When the command line does not specify where to push with the
-`<repository>` argument, `branch.*.remote` configuration for the
-current branch is consulted to determine where to push.  If the
-configuration is missing, it defaults to 'origin'.
+To decide which repository to push to, Git uses the `<repository>`
+argument (for example `git push dev`), then if that's not specified the
+upstream configuration for the current branch, and then defaults
+to `origin`.
 
 When the command line does not specify what to push with `<refspec>...`
 arguments or `--all`, `--mirror`, `--tags` options, the command finds
-- 
gitgitgadget