Subject: Re: Why Is There No Bug Tracker And Why Are Patches Sent Instead Of Pull Requests

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 14:16:42 +0900

Andrew Ardill <[email-masked]> writes:
> Additionally, if we are not prepared to use non-Free tools, we should
> probably stop using github.

I think the issue isn't "using" non-free tools so much as it's getting
_locked into_ non-free tools.

So if JIRA makes all its data trivially exportable in a format which
is easy to use, and there's some way of isolating references to it so
that it's possible to switch to something else without undue hardship,
maybe it's not such a big deal.

[Github is a prime example of a non-free tool which is largely avoids
the lockin issue, and I imagine that's why so many free projects
happily use it.  That's generally true of any git repo site, given the
super-easy cloneability of git repos, but Github also provides good
export of the meta-data it keeps (issues, etc).]

-Miles

-- 
/\ /\
(^.^)
(")")
*This is the cute kitty virus, please copy this into your sig so it can spread.