Subject: Re: [1.8.0] reorganize the mess that the source tree has become

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:09:00 +0900

Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]> writes:
>> But just moving the whole existing pile into a subdirectory "because
>> everyone else does it" is not a reason; that's superstition.
>
> There is no superstition here, simply basic elegance.

"basic elegance" is hardly well-defined, and although there are probably
issues on which there's general agreement, this doesn't appear to be one
of them.

>> Having to type "src/" a lot more often is definitely a downside.
>
> Come on.  This is a rather egocentric argument without much substance.

It certainly has more substance than hand-waving like "basic elegance"
though...

Some slightly more concrete arguments have been:

  Pro-src:  Big top-level dir scares newbs
  Anti-src: Extra typing is annoying

I'm not really against a "src/" subdir, but it seems mostly a matter of
taste, and I've seen plenty of projects where the src/ directory seemed
pretty pointless...

-Miles

-- 
Politics, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of
principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.