Subject: Re: [PATCH/alternative/raw and rough] setup.c: denote repo wide pathspecs by ':'

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:42:09 +0900

Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> writes:
>>  Would this ':'
>> trick affect that argument?  If a command is relative to the cwd with no
>> pathspec, you can now give a single ':' to affect the whole tree.
>
> In my view yes. I would even say: If we don't change every single
> command to repo-wide default there is no need to change (and break
> things) if we have an easy one-character way of saying "repo-wide".

... except, of course that the current state is still confusingly
inconsistent.  Even if ":" is available, and even if somebody knows
about it, they won't use it unless they know they have to because people
are lazy, particularly when typing at the command-line.

There will _still_ be tons of times when people don't realize they're in
a subdirectory, and so need ":", or don't realize that command X doesn't
follow the majority of commands in using the "no args = root relative"
behavior.  So the current state of things is still somewhat dangerous
for users.

Something like ":" would be a great feature for scripting though.

-Miles

-- 
Discriminate, v.i. To note the particulars in which one person or thing is,
if possible, more objectionable than another.