Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] git-gc: skip stashes when expiring reflogs

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:22:15 +0900

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> So I think we are disagreeing not on how stashes should expire, but
> rather on what a stash _is_, and what it is useful for. And I am open to
> arguments that stashes are useful for longer-term storage. But I also
> find the expiration behavior useful

I don't think anybody is really arguing that stashes aren't _mostly_
useful for short-term storage.

I think the problem is that _sometimes_ stashes end up sticking around
longer than people suspect, and this is not necessarily planned (or even
intentional).  I've done it -- I'll stash some changes "temporarily" in
a little-used working directory, then end up doing something else and
forgetting to re-apply the stash.  I'll then revisit that working dir a
long time later, wonder where my changes are, poke around a bit, and
find them in the stash; no prob.

-Miles

-- 
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen