Subject: Re: [PATCH 1.8.0] add: make "add -u" update full tree without pathspec

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 15:26:04 +0900

Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <[email-masked]> writes:
> git log -p and diff family all can take pathspecs. All default to
> tree-wide without pathspecs. This is what I'm doing all the time:
>
> git diff
> # checking, ok, looks good
> git add -u
> # ack, need to come to root dir first

Not to mention "git status", which shows everything in the tree when
given no args, but will only show changes underneath the cwd if given
"." as an argument.

I agree that the "default to root of git dir when given no args"
behavior seems both more convenient -- it's annoying to specify the root
of the tree explicitly, but very easy to specify the cwd explicitly
(".") -- and more intuitive -- If I want "everything underneath cwd",
I'll naturually specify "." as an argument; if I give no args, I almost
certainly want the whole tree, no matter where I happen to be in it.

-Miles

-- 
Christian, n. One who follows the teachings of Christ so long as they are not
inconsistent with a life of sin.