Subject: Re: git svn rebase problem

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 09:56:08 +0900

Avery Pennarun <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Branches and git-svn don't mix.
>
> That's not exactly true: merging and git-svn don't mix.  But rebasing
> works fine.

I've given up on trying to maintain rigid consistency with svn --
git-svn's constant rebasing is just too painful -- and just cherry-pick
everything between my "svn" branch and master, and use master in
conjunction with better-behaved git-only branches.  I often end up with
the same commits in a different order on the two branches, but oh well,
not much to do about that I suppose.

This means I often end up cherry-picking long sequences of commits, and
need to deal with conflicts in these cp-sequences.  For this reason, I
often wish cherry-pick supported all the fancy features of rebase
(multiple commits, nice handling of conflicts, -i, etc) -- after all
rebasing is really just a special case of cherry-picking.

[I've tried on a shell-script implementation of such an extended
cherry-pick, but soooo many little corner cases to deal with... maybe
it'd be easier to try and generalize git-rebase...?]

-Miles

-- 
Conservative, n. A statesman enamored of existing evils, as opposed to a
Liberal, who wants to replace them with new ones.