Subject: setting up tracking on push

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 12:07:29 +0900

[...sorry if this is a dup -- my previous attempt didn't seem to take...]

Is there an "easy" way to set up tracking for a branch which starts out
locally, and is eventually pushed to a remote?

E.g., I create a new local branch "grognul", and then later propagate it
to my remote site using:

  git push origin grognul

That works great (creating origin/grognul), but to set up tracking, I
currently edit .git/config (not insanely difficult, but vaguely
annoying).  This is as opposed to a branch which starts out remotely,
and is pulled, where one can just use "git branch --track" or "git
checkout --track" (or use a config option to do so by default).

I vaguely feel like I should be able to do:

  git push --track origin grognul

[I do this particular action -- creating a branch locally and then
pushing it to origin -- very very often, thus my desire for a handy
option.]

What do other people think?

-miles

--
Inhumanity, n. One of the signal and characteristic qualities of humanity.