Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 1/2] Allow "git log --grep foo" as synonym for "git log --grep=foo".

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:40:50 +0900

Sverre Rabbelier <[email-masked]> writes:
>> +       } else if (!strcmp(arg, "--grep")) {
>> +               add_message_grep(revs, optarg);
>> +               return 2;
>
> This one makes a little less sense since to me '--flag' are always
> booleans, whereas '-m' can take an argument (such as '-m' from 'git
> commit'.

The fact that --grep requires the "=" is amazingly confusing if you're
used to standard GNU long-argument parsing (which many standard
utilities use, and which git's argument syntax is clearly modelled
after), where both forms are equivalent, and documentation typically
only refers to the "=" form, but implicitly allows the separate-args
form.

I'm continually getting tripped up by git's idiosynchratic argument
parsing, and it's nice to see it getting cleaned up a bit...

-Miles

-- 
The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or
fears or wishes rather than with their minds.  -- Will Durant