Subject: Re: Git branches - confusing behavior

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:49:47 +0900

Dima Kagan <[email-masked]> writes:
> My proposed change shouldn't necessarily break the described
> workflow. Git can keep the current behavior for new branches, but
> automatically 'stash' the changes when checking-out an existing
> branch.

It's not going to happen, at least by default.  Many people already rely
on -- and like -- the current behavior, which is often quite convenient
(edit some files and then realize "oh, I should commit these to another
branch"... no prob! :-).

Occasionally it is inconvenient, of course, but git offers mechanisms to
use in such cases, most notably "git stash" (and of course super-cheap
local branches which can be amended or even deleted later).

I think the real problem here is that you haven't quite gotten used
to git yet.

-Miles

-- 
Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without
knowledge, of things without parallel.