Subject: Re: [RFC] deprecating and eventually removing "git relink"?

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 15:06:37 +0900

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>  (2) allowing two repositories that started independently to share objects
>      using the alternates mechanism after the fact.

Can they not already?

I mean, it works great right now to do:

  cd $REP2
  echo $REP1/.git/objects > .git/objects/info/alternates
  git gc

Do you mean a more elaborate UI that does this nicely...? or something
else?

It might be nice to have a mechanism where new objects would update
the _alternate_ rather than the object-store in the tree where the
command was run... then you could easily have a bunch of trees using a
central object store without needing to update the central store
occasionally by hand (and do gc in its "clients")...

-Miles

-- 
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I