Subject: Re: Chicken/egg problem building from a 'git clone'

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 14:49:52 +0900

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> Because there is no configure script provided, and because my autoconf
>>> is considered too old, I simply can't start the build process because
>>> I can't generate the missing configure script.
>>
>> Er, why don't you upgrade to a less ancient version of autoconf...?
>
> Please do not encourage the use of configure/autoconf unnecessarily.

Huh?  I'm not "encouraging the use of configure/autoconf unnecessarily",
I'm encouraging the use of a non-obsolete version of autoconf, should he
wish to use it (and he's the one that brought it up, so...).

> Use of configure is tolerated, not encouraged.

You're certainly welcome to discourage people from using it, but I see
no reason to do so myself.

-miles

-- 
Joy, n. An emotion variously excited, but in its highest degree arising from
the contemplation of grief in another.