Subject: Re: [PATCH 09/10] user-manual.txt: explain better the remote(-tracking) branch terms

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:16:15 +0900

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
>> No. Git does not “maintain a copy of [the remote] branches”.
>
> Which part of the sentence is problematic to you ?
>
> Remote-tracking branches _are_ a copy of the branches. The copy is
> made at "git clone" time, and is periodically updated with "git fetch"
> later. And it seems to me that "periodically update" is a way to
> "maintain" the copy up-to-date.
>
> In the latest version of the patch, I changed "maintain" to "keep",
> following Jakub's remark. Is that better?

Yup.

As far as I can tell, Thore's complaint is that the copy is not kept
perfectly up-to-date automatically, but I think he's incorrect to assume
that the language here implies that.  It doesn't.  "Maintaining a copy"
simply means to keep a copy, so your change seems valid, though.

I supposes git is also used by many people with a less-than-perfect
command of english though, so perhaps using simpler language is
sometimes warranted...

-Miles

-- 
Ocean, n. A body of water covering seven-tenths of a world designed for Man -
who has no gills.