Subject: bash completion bug: "symbolic-ref" subcommand doesn't complete

From: Andrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2026 19:14:16 +0300

Bash can't complete some commands, e.g. symbolic-ref, bugreport, maybe 
others.

These commands are not seen in the completion output:

|$ git #press Tab
add               blame             citool            diff         gitk  
             log               prune  refs              restore          
  show submodule
am                branch            clean             difftool         
grep              maintenance       pull remote            revert        
     show-branch       switch
apply             bundle            clone             fetch        gui  
              merge             push repack            rm                
sparse-checkout   tag
archive           checkout          commit format-patch      help        
       mergetool  range-diff        replace           scalar            
stage          whatchanged
backfill          cherry            config            fsck         init  
             mv                rebase request-pull      send-email      
   stash             worktree
bisect            cherry-pick       describe          gc         
instaweb          notes             reflog reset             shortlog    
       status |

|
|

There is no such problem with Zsh.

[System Info]
GNU bash, version 5.3.0(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
git version 2.53.0
rust: disabled
gettext: enabled
libc info: glibc: 2.42