Subject: [PATCH v5 05/10] merge-ort: mark a few more conflict messages as omittable

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 02:37:32 +0000

From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>

path_msg() has the ability to mark messages as omittable, designed for
remerge-diff where we'll instead be showing conflict messages as diff
headers for a subsequent diff.  While all these messages are very useful
when trying to create a merge initially, early use with the
--remerge-diff feature (the only user of this omittable conflict message
capability), suggests that the particular messages marked in this commit
are just noise when trying to see what changes users made to create a
merge commit.  Mark them as omittable.

Note that there were already a few messages marked as omittable in
merge-ort when doing a remerge-diff, because the development of
--remerge-diff preceded the upstreaming of merge-ort and I was trying to
ensure merge-ort could handle all the necessary requirements.  See
commit c5a6f65527 ("merge-ort: add modify/delete handling and delayed
output processing", 2020-12-03) for the initial details.  For some
examples of already-marked-as-omittable messages, see either
"Auto-merging <path>" or some of the submodule update hints.  This
commit just adds two more messages that should also be omittable.

Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
---
 merge-ort.c | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/merge-ort.c b/merge-ort.c
index a18f47e23c5..998e92ec593 100644
--- a/merge-ort.c
+++ b/merge-ort.c
@@ -2420,7 +2420,7 @@ static void apply_directory_rename_modifications(struct merge_options *opt,
 		 */
 		ci->path_conflict = 1;
 		if (pair->status == 'A')
-			path_msg(opt, new_path, 0,
+			path_msg(opt, new_path, 1,
 				 _("CONFLICT (file location): %s added in %s "
 				   "inside a directory that was renamed in %s, "
 				   "suggesting it should perhaps be moved to "
@@ -2428,7 +2428,7 @@ static void apply_directory_rename_modifications(struct merge_options *opt,
 				 old_path, branch_with_new_path,
 				 branch_with_dir_rename, new_path);
 		else
-			path_msg(opt, new_path, 0,
+			path_msg(opt, new_path, 1,
 				 _("CONFLICT (file location): %s renamed to %s "
 				   "in %s, inside a directory that was renamed "
 				   "in %s, suggesting it should perhaps be "
-- 
gitgitgadget