Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] contrib/subtree: reduce recursion during split

From: Colin Stagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2026 00:07:22 -0500

On 4/20/26 04:57, Ian Jackson wrote:

> I need to think about this some more but I doubt this can be made to
> work well without more significant changes, including to the data
> model.  There would have to be some kind of compatibility arrangement
> to handle existing histories.

I would take a look at the test-cases for git-subtree.sh, which document 
some of the kinds of issues you will encounter. They may help you test 
compatibility.

Anything you can do to limit breakage to "opt-in" points-in-time only 
would be greatly appreciated.

> Colin, is that OK with you?

You can name it and develop it however you like. No need to ask 
permission here.

(For the record, I'm also not the maintainer of contrib/git-subtree. 
I've just been trying to fix a few issues with it.)

> If you would prefer, I could choose a different name for the
> resulting program.

If I were writing it, I would give the new program a different name but 
perhaps provide a "compile-time" way to set it to "git-subtree" instead. 
My reason for this is that it may need to exist with the legacy script 
for awhile, and it's good to be able to tell them apart.

Colin