Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] t3650: use option with value consistenly with equal sign

From: "Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2026 20:17:56 +0100

On Mon, Mar 23, 2026, at 17:09, Toon Claes wrote:
> The tests in t3650-replay-basics have mixed use of option arguments
> with value with and without equal sign. Bring in consistency and use
> equal sign for all options that expect a value.

If it is about consistency, could you pick one or the other either way
or go with whatever happened to be most used right now?

Consistency by itself is a weaker argument than arguing that stuck form
is better for invoking git(1) commands, which is what gitcli(7) argues.

Which is to say: arguing for stuck form in the commit message based on
it being better is a stronger argument than wanting consistency. :)

Then once one form has been argued for or referenced it follows that you
should be consistent and use the best approach throughout.

> This makes it easier to distinguish them from positional arguments.

Maybe it’s just me, but sticking with the stuck form makes it harder to
mess up writing unintended options and positional arguments. Once
written it might be slightly more readable, but the main benefit is
using a style that makes messing up harder to pull off.

>
> Signed-off-by: Toon Claes <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  t/t3650-replay-basics.sh | 70 ++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------
>  1 file changed, 35 insertions(+), 35 deletions(-)
>[snip]