Subject: [PATCH v3 4/6] tests: verify that `clone -c core.hooksPath=/dev/null` works again

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 20:22:03 +0000

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

As part of the protections added in Git v2.45.1 and friends,
repository-local `core.hooksPath` settings are no longer allowed, as a
defense-in-depth mechanism to prevent future Git vulnerabilities to
raise to critical level if those vulnerabilities inadvertently allow the
repository-local config to be written.

What the added protection did not anticipate is that such a
repository-local `core.hooksPath` can not only be used to point to
maliciously-placed scripts in the current worktree, but also to
_prevent_ hooks from being called altogether.

We just reverted the `core.hooksPath` protections, based on the Git
maintainer's recommendation in
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ to address this
concern as well as related ones. Let's make sure that we won't regress
while trying to protect the clone operation further.

Reported-by: Brooke Kuhlmann <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
---
 t/t1350-config-hooks-path.sh | 7 +++++++
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+)

diff --git a/t/t1350-config-hooks-path.sh b/t/t1350-config-hooks-path.sh
index f6dc83e2aab..45a04929170 100755
--- a/t/t1350-config-hooks-path.sh
+++ b/t/t1350-config-hooks-path.sh
@@ -41,4 +41,11 @@ test_expect_success 'git rev-parse --git-path hooks' '
 	test .git/custom-hooks/abc = "$(cat actual)"
 '
 
+test_expect_success 'core.hooksPath=/dev/null' '
+	git clone -c core.hooksPath=/dev/null . no-templates &&
+	value="$(git -C no-templates config --local core.hooksPath)" &&
+	# The Bash used by Git for Windows rewrites `/dev/null` to `nul`
+	{ test /dev/null = "$value" || test nul = "$value"; }
+'
+
 test_done
-- 
gitgitgadget