Subject: [PATCH v2 7/9] SubmittingPatches: clarify GitHub visual

From: "Josh Soref via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:41:03 +0000

From: Josh Soref <[email-masked]>

GitHub has two general forms for its states, sometimes they're a simple
colored object (e.g. green check or red x), and sometimes there's also a
colored container (e.g. green box or red circle) with containing that
object (e.g. check or x).

That's a lot of words to try to describe things, but in general, the key
for a failure is that it's recognized as an `x` and that it's associated
with the color red -- the color of course is problematic for people who
are red-green color-blind, but that's why they are paired with distinct
shapes.

Using the term `cross` doesn't really help.

Signed-off-by: Josh Soref <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/SubmittingPatches | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/SubmittingPatches b/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
index 4476b52a50f..8f79253c5cb 100644
--- a/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
+++ b/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
@@ -603,7 +603,7 @@ to your fork of Git on GitHub.  You can monitor the test state of all your
 branches here: `https://github.com/<Your GitHub handle>/git/actions/workflows/main.yml`
 
 If a branch did not pass all test cases then it is marked with a red
-cross. In that case you can click on the failing job and navigate to
++x+. In that case you can click on the failing job and navigate to
 "ci/run-build-and-tests.sh" and/or "ci/print-test-failures.sh". You
 can also download "Artifacts" which are tarred (or zipped) archives
 with test data relevant for debugging.
-- 
gitgitgadget