Subject: [PATCH 0/4] add pre-auto-gc hook for git-gc --auto (try2)

From: Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:38:55 +0200

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:51:12PM -0700, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > +   return run_command(&hook);
> > +}
>
> Don't we want to distinguish between the case where start_command()
> failed, wait_or_whine() failed on waitpid(), the command was killed
> with
> signal, or the command actually ran correctly and decided that you
> should
> not run "git gc --auto" by exiting non-zero?
>
> I think it is prudent to refrain from running "git gc --auto" in any
> of
> the failure cases I listed above, but shouldn't the cases other than
> the
> last one at least issue a warning?

Ok, there are 3 cases here to handle. When wait_or_whine() fails on
waitpid() it already prints an error, so that's already handled. I've
added two warnings for the other 2 cases.

Other changes:

- try to use on_ac_power when it's available, as suggested by Joey Hess

- mention in the commend of the example pre-auto-gc hook that it's
  Linux-specific, as suggested by Brian Gernhardt

- removed mentioning what the default hook does from hooks.txt, as it's
  an example and it's under contrib/

- moved the battery example to contrib/ and added a minimal example to
  templates/

- removed unnecessary stdout_to_stderr from builtin-gc.c::run_hook()

- removed unnecessary --no-verify option

I hope I haven't missed anything you suggested.

Miklos Vajna (4):
  git-gc --auto: add pre-auto-gc hook
  Documentation/hooks: add pre-auto-gc hook
  templates: add an example pre-auto-gc hook
  contrib/hooks: add an example pre-auto-gc hook

 Documentation/hooks.txt           |    7 +++++
 builtin-gc.c                      |   30 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 contrib/hooks/pre-auto-gc-battery |   45 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 templates/hooks--pre-auto-gc      |    9 +++++++
 4 files changed, 91 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 contrib/hooks/pre-auto-gc-battery
 create mode 100644 templates/hooks--pre-auto-gc