Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/2] gitk --color-words

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 02:52:47 +0200

This little pair of patches teaches gitk a color-words diff view.

To get there, I finally got rid of the assumption that --color-words
only ever needs to output ANSI(?) color sequences.  Hopefully this
will help other people to use --color-words in nice frontends.

It uses an ad-hoc output format where newlines in the output are
insignificant (so as to be able to speak about added/removed words)
and newlines from the input are output as a line with only a '~'.

RFC among other things because

* I chose ~ more or less randomly.  Do any diff implementations out
  there use it for some other purpose?

* The --color-words code was the only user of color_fwrite_lines() so
  I tweaked it according to my needs.  But that makes it highly
  diff-specific again, so it's not in color.c any more.  Did anyone
  else intend to use it?

* The Tk part of the patch is 95% voodoo of the
  cut&paste-from-elsewhere vintage and I have no clue whether it works
  only by accident

* I still need to do some things: add docs for --porcelain, add tests
  to the first patch, move the gitk patch to affect only the subtree

* I'm not even burning midnight oil any more

Thomas Rast (2):
  Add diff --porcelain option for --color-words
  gitk: add the equivalent of diff --color-words

 color.c       |   28 ---------------
 color.h       |    1 -
 diff.c        |  105 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 diff.h        |    1 +
 gitk-git/gitk |   29 +++++++++++++++-
 5 files changed, 116 insertions(+), 48 deletions(-)