Subject: [PATCH v2 0/5] git-reset documentation changes

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:23:21 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
[on patch 2/5]
> >  DESCRIPTION
> >  -----------
> > +Sets the current branch to the specified <commit> and optionally
> > +resets the index and working tree to match.  The <commit> defaults to
> > +HEAD in all forms.
> 
> With a careless reading of this paragraph, I got an impression that HEAD
> is always affected, but I happen to know that is not the case ;-).
> 
>  - "reset" is primarily about resetting the index and the --soft option
>    can be used to optionally not to do this.
> 
>    . with paths, the command is about fixing up the index contents for
>      given specific paths, to prepare for the next commit.  HEAD is not
>      moved.
> 
>    . without paths, the command is about changing what commit to build
>      your next commit on, i.e. HEAD is moved.

You're right, I completely left out the <paths> mode there.  I rewrote
this as a short summary of all three modes in this version.

> "git reset HEAD frotz" from a head commit without frotz gets rid of frotz
> from the index, no?

True.  I thought it didn't (and required rm --cached) but I must have
mixed up something.

The other patches are unchanged from v1.

Thomas Rast (5):
  Documentation/git-reset: reorder modes for soft-mixed-hard
    progression
  Documentation/reset: separate options by mode
  Documentation/reset: promote 'examples' one section up
  Documentation/reset: reorder examples to match description
  Documentation/reset: move "undo permanently" example behind "make
    topic"

 Documentation/git-reset.txt |  347 ++++++++++++++++++++++---------------------
 1 files changed, 178 insertions(+), 169 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.2.rc3.317.gc287