Subject: [PATCH 0/2] RFC: Better handling of git init remote-spec

From: Peter Krefting <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:31:44 +0100

>>From time to time I forget myself and try to initialize a repository on a remote
machine by writing something like

  git init --bare remote.machine:myrepo.git

just to get a local directory called "remote.machine:myrepo.git" set up.

Or, even worse, a

  git init --bare ssh://remote.machine/myrepo.git

These patches try to fix this. The first patch tries to detect if a remote
repository specification was supplied, and just stop with an error message.
That one is fairly safe.

The second one I haven't got working yet, but I have the beginnings of a
patch that actually tries to run "git-init" on the remote repository. Any
ideas on how to get this actually working (it should be possible for the
"ssh" transport at least) are welcome.

Peter Krefting (2):
  Detect attempts at calling git init specifying a remote repository.
  WIP: Allow running git init on a remote repository specification.

 builtin/init-db.c |   16 +++++++++++++++-
 remote.c          |   11 +++++++++++
 remote.h          |    1 +
 3 files changed, 27 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.3