Subject: [RFC/PATCH 0/2] RFC/POC: patterns for branch list

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 14:15:17 +0200

This mini series is about introducing patterns to the list mode of
'git branch' much like the pattern for 'git tag -l'. There are several
things which I would like to do but would like to rfc first:

'-l' is the natural short option name for '--list'. This is taken for the
rarely used or needed 'create reflog' option. I'd change the latter to
'-g,--create-reflog' (cmp. log) and take '-l,--list' but know the reaction
already.

'-v' and '-vv' both take considerable time (because they need to walk).
It makes more sense to have '-v' display cheap output (upstream name)
and '-vv' add expensive output (ahead/behind info). '-vvv' could add super
expensive info (ahead/equivalent/behind a la cherry-mark).

But all of the above are changes to current (ui) behaviour. In the two patches
below, only the automatic activation of the list mode with -v/-vv is a
change of (undocumented) behaviour.

And yes, git-for-each-ref can do all this and more, but that is plumbing.

Michael J Gruber (2):
  branch: allow pattern arguments
  branch: introduce --list argument

 builtin/branch.c |   21 +++++++++++++++------
 1 files changed, 15 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.5.270.gafca7