Subject: [PATCH 0/2 RFC] Add update_progress(), divert checkout messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:14:59 +0200

From: Steffen Daode Nurpmeso <[email-masked]>

Whereas only syntactic sugar, i think it's a bit odd that during
a checkout which mostly removes files the git-checkout progress
displays "Checking out files" all of the time.

There are two solutions to this: either simply change that string
to "Updating working tree", which is acceptable to anybody at
anytime.  Or divert what progress reports to the actual action
which is currently performed.  This series tries to achieve the
latter.

But maybe progress should instead be extended that it could handle
a situation like the following directly.  I.e., offer an
additional start_parted_progress() series, or extend the current
one with an additional "signed parted" argument.  That
update_progress() could then instead be named
progress_change_part() or whatever.  ?

    Updating work tree: removing files (x/y [xy%]) total%
       Main-Title        Action-title  Action-cnt 

Steffen Daode Nurpmeso (2):
  progress: add update_progress()
  unpack-trees: divert check_updates() output via update_progress()

 progress.c     |   15 +++++++++++++++
 progress.h     |    2 ++
 unpack-trees.c |   30 +++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 3 files changed, 40 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.7.rc0.dirty