Subject: [PATCH 0/2] git describe --first-parent

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 15:51:50 +0200

While "git describe" behaves as documented, the notion of "most recent tag"
is not really easy to grab, and it's not always the way you want to describe
a commit.

"--first-parent" is the option which answers the question: Which is the
most recent tag on this branch which can be reached from this commit?
("This branch" being defined as "--first-parent" walk.)

I had suggested this before, but the discussion veered off quite a bit:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/156811

No need to discuss the way "git describe" behaves again ;)

Michael J Gruber (2):
  git-describe: introduce --first-parent
  describe: document and test --first-parent

 Documentation/git-describe.txt | 16 +++++++++++++++-
 builtin/describe.c             |  8 +++++++-
 t/t6120-describe.sh            |  7 +++++++
 3 files changed, 29 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.12.463.gbd9d638