Subject: [PATCH v5 0/2] submodule update: add --remote for submodule's upstream changes

From: "W. Trevor King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:30:27 -0500

From: "W. Trevor King" <[email-masked]>

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:53:34AM -0500, W. Trevor King wrote:
> I thought of a better idea on the train.  How about adding `--remote`
> to `submodule update` that overrides the gitlinked SHA-1 with the
> SHA-1 for origin/$branch?  All of the other checkout/merge/rebase
> functionality is untouched.  The only thing that changes is where we
> look for the update.  I'm working up the patch now, and will submit v5
> shortly.

Here it is.

Changes since v4:

* Remove `update --branch` in favor of the new `update --remote` logic
  as mentioned above.
* Optional config overrides for submodule.<name>.branch (as suggested
  by Jens)
* Save --branch as submodule.<name>.branch instead of requiring
  --local-branch.
* Restructure doc edits.

I'm a lot happier with this two-patch proposal.  The first patch
implements --remote and documents submodule.<name>.branch.  The second
patch just gives you a convenient way to set it.  I haven't heard from
anyone other than Heiko recently about the --branch/--remote-branch
choice, so I returned to the simpler --branch side effect storage from
v1.  I'd be happy to submit v6 with explicit --remote-branch recording
if desired.

W. Trevor King (2):
  submodule update: add --remote for submodule's upstream changes
  submodule add: If --branch is given, record it in .gitmodules

 Documentation/config.txt        |  9 +++++----
 Documentation/git-submodule.txt | 26 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 Documentation/gitmodules.txt    |  5 +++++
 git-submodule.sh                | 30 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 t/t7400-submodule-basic.sh      |  1 +
 t/t7406-submodule-update.sh     | 31 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 6 files changed, 96 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

-- 
1.8.0.2.gad10246.dirty