Subject: [PATCH 0/8] Initial support for Python 3

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 19:23:38 +0000

I started having a look to see how much work would be needed to make Git
work with Python 3 and the answer is mostly not much.  The exception is
git-p4.py which is hit hard by the distinction between byte strings and
unicode strings, particularly because the Python output mode of p4
targets Python 2.

I don't know if it's worthwhile to actually apply these but here they
are in case anyone's interested.

Having said that, the changes are minimal and involve either wrapping
parentheses around arguments to print or being a bit more explicit about
how we expect byte strings to be decoded to unicode.

With these patches all tests pass with python3 except t98* (git-p4), but
there are a couple of topics in-flight which will affect that
(fc/remote-testgit-feature-done and er/replace-cvsimport).

John Keeping (8):
  git_remote_helpers: Allow building with Python 3
  git_remote_helpers: fix input when running under Python 3
  git_remote_helpers: Force rebuild if python version changes
  git_remote_helpers: Use 2to3 if building with Python 3
  svn-fe: allow svnrdump_sim.py to run with Python 3
  git-remote-testpy: hash bytes explicitly
  git-remote-testpy: don't do unbuffered text I/O
  git-remote-testpy: call print as a function

 contrib/svn-fe/svnrdump_sim.py     |  4 ++--
 git-remote-testpy.py               | 40 +++++++++++++++++++-------------------
 git_remote_helpers/.gitignore      |  1 +
 git_remote_helpers/Makefile        | 10 ++++++++--
 git_remote_helpers/git/importer.py |  2 +-
 git_remote_helpers/setup.py        | 10 ++++++++++
 6 files changed, 42 insertions(+), 25 deletions(-)

-- 
1.8.1