Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Documentation/technical: describe signature formats

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:46:07 +0200

As promised a while ago, here is a little series that describes the signature
formats that we use in Git. The series sets up the the basic structure first
and then describes each format in one patch.

The series grew out of my own efforts to get an overview and structure my
understanding before I can set about refactoring what we have. Things
that became apparent immediately:

- We don't support verifying push certificates, although they fit in with
  git verify-tag. Patch has been submitted, and this series documents the
  result already (git verify-tag --blob).

- We don' support verifying signed merge tags other than by using log/show,
  which is not quite fit for scripting.

- We have signature parsing code all over the place, including places that
  should probably abstract more, such as tag.c and log-tree.c.

- We may want to give more support for deciding about the trustworthiness
  of signatures, the same way we export information to receive hooks
  in the presence of push certificates. (Give information, don't decide.)

Michael J Gruber (5):
  Documentation/technical: describe signature formats
  Documentation/technical: signed tag format
  Documentation/technical: signed commit format
  Documentation/technical: signed merge tag format
  Documentation/technical: push certificate format

 Documentation/Makefile                       |   1 +
 Documentation/technical/signature-format.txt | 242 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 243 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/technical/signature-format.txt

-- 
2.9.0.382.g87fd384