Subject: [RFC 0/4] Implementation of fetch-blobs and fetch-refs

From: Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 13:46:06 -0700

My previous proposal about a possible new server endpoint that serves
blobs and refs [1] didn't seem to garner much interest, so I thought I'd
provide a possible implementation of that proposal as a work in
progress.

In particular, patch 1 demonstrates that a new server endpoint that
serves refs without the initial ref advertisement can be done in 228
lines of code (according to "git diff --stat") while accounting for the
various special cases that upload-pack imposes (stateless RPC, inclusion
of an additional response when depth is requested, handling of "done" in
request, sending a packfile directly after a response containing "ACK
ready" without waiting for "done", and so on).

I'm hoping that these features would be of more interest to more people.
To that end, I'm sending these patches in the hope of showing that these
features are useful (omitting ref advertisements help greatly when
serving large repos, as described in the commit message of patch 1, and
serving blobs is useful for any fetch-blob-on-demand repo scheme) and
that my proposed way of implementing them can be done in a relatively
uncomplicated manner (as seen in these patches).

Patch 1-3 show what serving refs without the advertisement would look
like from the server's and fetch-pack's points of view. Patch 4 is
similar to some of the other blob-serving patches except that this
contains reachability checks and that this bundles the resulting objects
in a packfile.

[1] <[email-masked]>

Jonathan Tan (4):
  server-endpoint: serve refs without advertisement
  fetch-pack: refactor "want" pkt-line generation
  fetch-pack: support new server endpoint
  server-endpoint: serve blobs by hash

 .gitignore                 |   1 +
 Makefile                   |   3 +
 builtin/fetch-pack.c       |  10 +-
 fetch-pack.c               | 129 +++++++++++------
 fetch-pack.h               |   1 +
 server-endpoint.c          | 347 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/helper/.gitignore        |   1 +
 t/helper/test-un-pkt.c     |  40 ++++++
 t/t5573-server-endpoint.sh |  60 ++++++++
 t/t9999-mytests.sh         | 242 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 10 files changed, 790 insertions(+), 44 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 server-endpoint.c
 create mode 100644 t/helper/test-un-pkt.c
 create mode 100644 t/t5573-server-endpoint.sh
 create mode 100644 t/t9999-mytests.sh

-- 
2.12.2.715.g7642488e1d-goog