Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/4] Improvements to sha1_file

From: Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 12:23:22 -0700

I was investigating how to adapt my existing patch for missing blob
support [1] to consult a manifest of missing blobs, and found it
difficult to further modify sha1_file.c without doing some further
refactoring. So here are some patches to do that.

I think patch 1 is an independently good change - it makes the code
clearer and is also a net reduction in lines. If none of the other
patches here make it, maybe patch 1 should go in independently.

Patches 2-3 are also collectively independent, but more invasive. The
commit messages explain what's going on in more detail, but basically
there are 3 functions doing similar things (getting information for an
object regardless of where it's stored) with duplicated mechanisms, and
for maintainability, it is better to combine them into one function.

Patch 4 is my adaptation of [1] after all the refactoring - notice that
I just needed to edit 1 storage-agnostic object info function instead
of previously needing to edit 3. It is still a work in progress - the
code looks complete, but I would probably need to at least document the
missing blob manifest format. I am providing it here just to show the
effectiveness of the refactoring in patches 2-3.

I am hoping for reviews on patches 1-3 to be included into the tree.

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Jonathan Tan (4):
  sha1_file: teach packed_object_info about typename
  sha1_file: extract type and size from object_info
  sha1_file: consolidate storage-agnostic object fns
  sha1_file, fsck: add missing blob support

 Documentation/config.txt |  10 +
 builtin/cat-file.c       |  29 +--
 builtin/fsck.c           |   7 +
 builtin/pack-objects.c   |   5 +-
 cache.h                  |  12 +-
 sha1_file.c              | 484 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------
 streaming.c              |   4 +-
 t/t3907-missing-blob.sh  |  69 +++++++
 8 files changed, 439 insertions(+), 181 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/t3907-missing-blob.sh

-- 
2.13.1.508.gb3defc5cc-goog