Subject: [PATCH v2 0/5] Fsck for lazy objects, and (now) actual invocation of loader

From: Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:02:42 -0700

Besides review changes, this patch set now includes my rewritten
lazy-loading sha1_file patch, so you can now do this (excerpted from one
of the tests):

    test_create_repo server
    test_commit -C server 1 1.t abcdefgh
    HASH=$(git hash-object server/1.t)
    
    test_create_repo client
    test_must_fail git -C client cat-file -p "$HASH"
    git -C client config core.repositoryformatversion 1
    git -C client config extensions.lazyobject \
        "\"$TEST_DIRECTORY/t0410/lazy-object\" \"$(pwd)/server/.git\""
    git -C client cat-file -p "$HASH"

with fsck still working. Also, there is no need for a list of promised
blobs, and the long-running process protocol is being used.

Changes from v1:
 - added last patch that supports lazy loading
 - clarified documentation in "introduce lazyobject extension" patch
   (following Junio's comments [1])

As listed in the changes above, I have rewritten my lazy-loading
sha1_file patch to no longer use the list of promises. Also, I have
added documentation about the protocol used to (hopefully) the
appropriate places.

This is a minimal implementation, hopefully enough of a foundation to be
built upon. In particular, I haven't added the environment variable to
suppress lazy loading, and the lazy loading protocol only supports one
object at a time.

Other work
----------

This differs slightly from Ben Peart's patch [2] in that the
lazy-loading functionality is provided through a configured shell
command instead of a hook shell script. I envision commands like "git
clone", in the future, needing to pre-configure lazy loading, and I
think that it will be less surprising to the user if "git clone" wrote a
default configuration instead of a default hook.

This also differs from Christian Couder's patch set [3] that implement a
larger-scale object database, in that (i) my patch set does not support
putting objects into external databases, and (ii) my patch set requires
the lazy loader to make the objects available in the local repo, instead
of allowing the objects to only be stored in the external database.

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
[3] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Jonathan Tan (5):
  environment, fsck: introduce lazyobject extension
  fsck: support refs pointing to lazy objects
  fsck: support referenced lazy objects
  fsck: support lazy objects as CLI argument
  sha1_file: support loading lazy objects

 Documentation/Makefile                             |   1 +
 Documentation/gitattributes.txt                    |  54 ++--------
 Documentation/gitrepository-layout.txt             |   3 +
 .../technical/long-running-process-protocol.txt    |  50 +++++++++
 Documentation/technical/repository-version.txt     |  23 +++++
 Makefile                                           |   1 +
 builtin/cat-file.c                                 |   2 +
 builtin/fsck.c                                     |  25 ++++-
 cache.h                                            |   4 +
 environment.c                                      |   1 +
 lazy-object.c                                      |  80 +++++++++++++++
 lazy-object.h                                      |  12 +++
 object.c                                           |   7 ++
 object.h                                           |  13 +++
 setup.c                                            |   7 +-
 sha1_file.c                                        |  44 +++++---
 t/t0410-lazy-object.sh                             | 113 +++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t0410/lazy-object                                | 102 +++++++++++++++++++
 18 files changed, 478 insertions(+), 64 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/technical/long-running-process-protocol.txt
 create mode 100644 lazy-object.c
 create mode 100644 lazy-object.h
 create mode 100755 t/t0410-lazy-object.sh
 create mode 100755 t/t0410/lazy-object

-- 
2.14.0.rc1.383.gd1ce394fe2-goog