Subject: [PATCH v2 00/11] Implement transactions for the packed ref store

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 15:51:42 +0200

This is v2 of a patch series to implement reference transactions for
the packed refs-store. Thanks to Stefan, Brandon, Junio, and Peff for
your review of v1 [1]. I believe I have addressed all of your
comments.

Changes since v1:

* Patch [01/11]: justify the change better in the log message. Add a
  comment explaining why `get_packed_ref_cache()` is being called but
  the return value discarded.

* Patch [05/11]: Lock the `packed-refs` file *after* successfully
  creating the (empty) transaction object. This prevents leaving the
  file locked if `ref_store_transaction_begin()` fails.

* Patch [06/11]: New patch, fixing a leak of the `refs_to_prune`
  linked list.

* Patch [07/11]: Reimplement test "no bogus intermediate values during
  delete" to work without polling. Also incorporate Junio's change
  `s/grep/test_i18ngrep/`.

These changes are also available as branch `packed-ref-transactions`
from my GitHub repo [2].

Michael

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2] https://github.com/mhagger/git

Michael Haggerty (11):
  packed-backend: don't adjust the reference count on lock/unlock
  struct ref_transaction: add a place for backends to store data
  packed_ref_store: implement reference transactions
  packed_delete_refs(): implement method
  files_pack_refs(): use a reference transaction to write packed refs
  prune_refs(): also free the linked list
  files_initial_transaction_commit(): use a transaction for packed refs
  t1404: demonstrate two problems with reference transactions
  files_ref_store: use a transaction to update packed refs
  packed-backend: rip out some now-unused code
  files_transaction_finish(): delete reflogs before references

 refs/files-backend.c         | 214 ++++++++++++++------
 refs/packed-backend.c        | 461 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------
 refs/packed-backend.h        |  17 +-
 refs/refs-internal.h         |   1 +
 t/t1404-update-ref-errors.sh |  73 +++++++
 5 files changed, 550 insertions(+), 216 deletions(-)

-- 
2.14.1