Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 06/16] sequencer: introduce the `merge` command

From: Martin Ågren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 07:13:37 +0200

Hi Phillip,

On 23 April 2018 at 17:54, Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'm fine with leaving it, I've might get round to doing a small series to
> clean things up slightly in a few weeks. At the moment
> setup_unpack_trees_porcelain() leaks memory as it is called for each merge
> and allocates new strings each time. It would also be nice if the error
> messages reflected the command, so it said 'cherry-pick', 'revert' or
> 'reset' rather than 'merge'

This is a small patch series to introduce and use
`clear_unpack_trees_porcelain()`. Since Elijah is doing substantial
rewrites to one of the users of `setup_unpack_trees_porcelain()` [1], I
think we should hold off on these for now to avoid a quite evil merge.
(I haven't studied the details enough to be confident, but I think the
calls to `setup_...()` and `clear_...()` might need to be moved up the
call-chain.)

I'm posting this so we don't repeat each other's work. If you feel like
picking these up and running with them, go ahead. Otherwise, I will try
to get them in as soon as Elijah's series lands. I'll keep you posted.

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/#t

Martin

Martin Ågren (2):
  merge: setup `opts` later in `checkout_fast_forward()`
  unpack_trees_options: free messages when done

 unpack-trees.h     |  5 +++++
 builtin/checkout.c |  1 +
 merge-recursive.c  |  1 +
 merge.c            | 35 ++++++++++++++++++++---------------
 unpack-trees.c     | 11 +++++++++++
 5 files changed, 38 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)

-- 
2.17.0