Subject: [PATCH 0/2] builtin/grep.c: teach '-o', '--only-matching'

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 21:03:08 -0700

Hi,

Attached is a series to teach 'git-grep(1)' how to respond to
'--only-matching' (a-la GNU grep(1)'s --only-matching, including an '-o'
synonym) to only print the matching component(s) of a line. It is based
on v4 of tb/grep-colno, which was sent in [1].

This was suggested to me by Ævar in [2].

This change was fairly straightforward, as Ævar suggests in [3], with
the only complication being that we must print a line header multiple
times when there are >1 matches per-line. This requirement pushes the
implementation towards the extraction of a show_line_header() function,
and some minor changes in show_line() to reflect.

Thank you in advance for your review.

Thanks,
Taylor

[1]: https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]
[2]: https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]
[3]: https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]

Taylor Blau (2):
  grep.c: extract show_line_header()
  builtin/grep.c: teach '-o', '--only-matching' to 'git-grep'

 Documentation/git-grep.txt |  6 +++-
 builtin/grep.c             |  1 +
 grep.c                     | 67 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
 grep.h                     |  1 +
 t/t7810-grep.sh            | 33 +++++++++++++++++++
 5 files changed, 85 insertions(+), 23 deletions(-)

--
2.17.0