Subject: [PATCH v2 0/2] Fix protocol v2 tag following with CLI refspec

From: Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 14:40:34 -0700

> Test t5702-protocol-v2.sh doesn't pass with this patch.

Good catch - I've fixed that.

> This is difficult...Really I don't think the default should be to follow
> tags.  Mostly because this defeats the purpose of ref filtering when a
> user only requests the master branch.  Now instead of the server only
> sending the master branch, you get the whole tags namespace as well.

It's true that there is now a performance drop. My instinctive reaction
is to be conservative and preserve the existing behavior, but I'll see
what others on this list think.

It's worth nothing that with ref-in-want (for example, in your latest
series [1]) we might be able to restore performance, because the server
can send refs/tags/X with the packfile instead of sending all
refs/tags/X refs initially to the client.

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Jonathan Tan (2):
  t5702: test fetch with multiple refspecs at a time
  fetch: send "refs/tags/" prefix upon CLI refspecs

 builtin/fetch.c        |  2 +-
 t/t5702-protocol-v2.sh | 71 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 2 files changed, 69 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

-- 
2.17.0.768.g1526ddbba1.dirty