Subject: [PATCH v4 0/7] Clean up tests for test_cmp arg ordering and pipe placement

From: Matthew DeVore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 09:25:58 -0700

Apply suggestions by Szeder and Eric from last version of the patch,
namely:
 - Use a sensible example for how one can unknowingly drop a Git exit
   code in tests.
 - Fixed the message for the second commit.
 - Move the test-specific coding guidelines to t/README from
   Documentation/CodingGuidelines.
 - Particularly forbid invoking Git in ways that will mask crashes, but
   don't say this for non-Git commands, since validating them isn't or
   job.
 - Including a guideline about dropping exit codes for command
   substitution.
 - Reformat Do/Don't lists in Documentation/CodingGuidelines, and make my
   added points have consistent format. This is a new commit.

There may be other changes I didn't list above, but I would have
mentioned them in prior mails.

I created a new commit which cleans up invocations of git-rev-list so
that positional arguments are last, since my other patchset modifies the
tests where most of these mistakes are present, and I want the tests
added in the other patchset to be consistent with the code around it.

Thank you,

Matthew DeVore (7):
  t/README: reformat Do, Don't, Keep in mind lists
  Documentation: add shell guidelines
  tests: standardize pipe placement
  t/*: fix ordering of expected/observed arguments
  tests: don't swallow Git errors upstream of pipes
  t9109: don't swallow Git errors upstream of pipes
  tests: order arguments to git-rev-list properly

 Documentation/CodingGuidelines         |  18 ++
 t/README                               |  68 +++--
 t/lib-gpg.sh                           |   9 +-
 t/t0000-basic.sh                       |   2 +-
 t/t0021-conversion.sh                  |   4 +-
 t/t1006-cat-file.sh                    |   8 +-
 t/t1300-config.sh                      |   9 +-
 t/t1303-wacky-config.sh                |   4 +-
 t/t2101-update-index-reupdate.sh       |   2 +-
 t/t3200-branch.sh                      |   2 +-
 t/t3320-notes-merge-worktrees.sh       |   4 +-
 t/t3400-rebase.sh                      |   8 +-
 t/t3417-rebase-whitespace-fix.sh       |   6 +-
 t/t3702-add-edit.sh                    |   4 +-
 t/t3903-stash.sh                       |   8 +-
 t/t3905-stash-include-untracked.sh     |   2 +-
 t/t4025-hunk-header.sh                 |   2 +-
 t/t4117-apply-reject.sh                |   6 +-
 t/t4124-apply-ws-rule.sh               |  30 +--
 t/t4138-apply-ws-expansion.sh          |   2 +-
 t/t5317-pack-objects-filter-objects.sh | 360 ++++++++++++++-----------
 t/t5318-commit-graph.sh                |   2 +-
 t/t5500-fetch-pack.sh                  |   7 +-
 t/t5616-partial-clone.sh               |  50 ++--
 t/t5701-git-serve.sh                   |  14 +-
 t/t5702-protocol-v2.sh                 |  14 +-
 t/t6023-merge-file.sh                  |  12 +-
 t/t6027-merge-binary.sh                |   4 +-
 t/t6031-merge-filemode.sh              |   2 +-
 t/t6112-rev-list-filters-objects.sh    | 237 +++++++++-------
 t/t7201-co.sh                          |   4 +-
 t/t7406-submodule-update.sh            |   8 +-
 t/t7800-difftool.sh                    |   2 +-
 t/t9100-git-svn-basic.sh               |   2 +-
 t/t9101-git-svn-props.sh               |  34 ++-
 t/t9133-git-svn-nested-git-repo.sh     |   6 +-
 t/t9600-cvsimport.sh                   |   2 +-
 t/t9603-cvsimport-patchsets.sh         |   4 +-
 t/t9604-cvsimport-timestamps.sh        |   4 +-
 39 files changed, 568 insertions(+), 398 deletions(-)

-- 
2.19.0.605.g01d371f741-goog