Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Per-commit filter proof of concept

From: Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 18:21:19 -0700

I did my own experiments on top of what Szeder provided - the first
patch is to have one fixed-size bloom filter per commit, and the second
patch makes that bloom filter apply to only the first parent of each
commit. The results are:

  Original (szeder's)
  $ GIT_USE_POC_BLOOM_FILTER=$((8*1024*1024*8)) time ./git commit-graph write
  0:10.28
  $ ls -l .git/objects/info/bloom
  8388616
  $ GIT_TRACE_BLOOM_FILTER=2 GIT_USE_POC_BLOOM_FILTER=y time ./git -c \
    core.commitgraph=true rev-list --count --full-history HEAD -- \
    t/valgrind/valgrind.sh
  886
  bloom filter total queries: 66459 definitely not: 65276 maybe: 1183 false positives: 297 fp ratio: 0.004469
  0:00.24

  With patch 1
  $ GIT_USE_POC_BLOOM_FILTER=256 time ./git commit-graph write
  0:16.22
  $ ls -l .git/objects/info/bloom
  1832620
  $ GIT_TRACE_BLOOM_FILTER=2 GIT_USE_POC_BLOOM_FILTER=y time ./git -c \
    core.commitgraph=true rev-list --count --full-history HEAD -- \
    t/valgrind/valgrind.sh
  886
  bloom filter total queries: 66459 definitely not: 46637 maybe: 19822 false positives: 18936 fp ratio: 0.284928
  0:01.53

  With patch 2
  $ GIT_USE_POC_BLOOM_FILTER=256 time ./git commit-graph write
  0:06.70
  $ ls -l .git/objects/info/bloom
  1832620
  $ GIT_TRACE_BLOOM_FILTER=2 GIT_USE_POC_BLOOM_FILTER=y time ./git -c \
    core.commitgraph=true rev-list --count --full-history HEAD -- \
    t/valgrind/valgrind.sh
  886
  bloom filter total queries: 53096 definitely not: 52989 maybe: 107 false positives: 89 fp ratio: 0.001676
  0:01.29

For comparison, a non-GIT_USE_POC_BLOOM_FILTER rev-list takes 3.517
seconds.

I haven't investigated why patch 1 takes longer than the original to
create the bloom filter.

Using per-commit filters and restricting the bloom filter to a single
parent increases the relative power of the filter in omitting tree
inspections compared to the original (107/53096 vs 1183/66459), but the
lack of coverage w.r.t. the non-first parents had a more significant
effect than I thought (1.29s vs .24s). It might be best to have one
filter for each (commit, parent) pair (or, at least, the first two
parents of each commit - we probably don't need to care that much about
octopus merges) - this would take up more disk space than if we only
store filters for the first parent, but is still less than the original
example of storing information for all commits in one filter.

There are more possibilities like dynamic filter sizing, different
hashing, and hashing to support wildcard matches, which I haven't looked
into.

Jonathan Tan (2):
  One filter per commit
  Only make bloom filter for first parent

 bloom-filter.c | 31 ++++++++++++++++++-------------
 bloom-filter.h | 12 ++++--------
 commit-graph.c | 30 ++++++++++++++----------------
 revision.c     | 29 +++++++++++++++--------------
 4 files changed, 51 insertions(+), 51 deletions(-)

-- 
2.19.0.271.gfe8321ec05.dirty