Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Sideband the whole fetch v2 response

From: Jonathan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 14:18:13 -0800

This is on ms/packet-err-check.

This is a follow-up of my earlier work to allow partial CDN offloading
of fetch v2 response packfiles, which had the issue of having to buffer
(or suspend) progress and keepalive messages because we didn't have
sideband until the packfile section started (as I wrote here [1]). These
patches expand the sideband to the whole response, eliminating that
problem.

There are 8 patches total. I'm most interested in review of the first 4
patches for inclusion into Git - I think it would be useful for servers
to be allowed to send progress messages and other notices whenever they
need to, especially if other sections are added to the response (like in
the case of CDN offloading).

The other 4 patches are from my CDN offloading work, included here to
show how this sideband-all feature could be used. But take note that
they are all WIP and that I still haven't incorporated some of the
design considerations from the earlier review [2].

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Jonathan Tan (8):
  pkt-line: introduce struct packet_writer
  sideband: reverse its dependency on pkt-line
  {fetch,upload}-pack: sideband v2 fetch response
  tests: define GIT_TEST_SIDEBAND_ALL
  Documentation: order protocol v2 sections
  Documentation: add Packfile URIs design doc
  upload-pack: refactor reading of pack-objects out
  upload-pack: send part of packfile response as uri

 Documentation/technical/packfile-uri.txt |  83 ++++++++
 Documentation/technical/protocol-v2.txt  |  32 ++-
 builtin/pack-objects.c                   |  48 +++++
 fetch-pack.c                             |  22 +-
 pkt-line.c                               | 114 ++++++++--
 pkt-line.h                               |  34 +++
 sideband.c                               | 161 +++++++-------
 sideband.h                               |  15 +-
 t/README                                 |   5 +
 t/lib-httpd/apache.conf                  |   1 +
 t/t5537-fetch-shallow.sh                 |   3 +-
 t/t5701-git-serve.sh                     |   2 +-
 t/t5702-protocol-v2.sh                   |  31 ++-
 upload-pack.c                            | 259 +++++++++++++++--------
 14 files changed, 607 insertions(+), 203 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/technical/packfile-uri.txt

-- 
2.19.0.271.gfe8321ec05.dirty